My normal yoga timetable has changed for August and I’m teaching a new crowd of students at my normal base at iYoga in Heaton Mersey. Both classes are the same level (with the odd smattering of less and more experienced students) so I’ve had the pleasure of teaching the same class twice there and then again at my regular Tuesday class at Total Fitness in Wilmslow, I love how a class evolves and changes each time it’s taught. iYoga is a fully fitted Iyengar studio with pretty much all the equipment you could desire (mats, belts, bricks, blocks, three types of bolsters, wedges, chairs, wall bars and best of all ropes) and in complete contrast the Total Fitness studio has a basic set up of bricks, blocks and belts so it’s interesting to have to adapt to two very different locations.
I’ve always liked to do my twists when it’s warm as my stiff body finds it easier to turn and I find the poses more achievable. Despite the erratic weather this year, it behaved itself this week and we twisted the week away. Here’s what we did:
- X-Legs for preparation and invocation
- Adho Mukha Virasana
- Parsva Adhu Mukha Virasana – both hands on floor, straight arms – both sides
- Utthita Trikonasana
- Utthita Trikonasana legs with ‘windmilling’ arms swinging back arm beyond front shin & touch floor – repeated fast and loose.
- Utthita Trikonasana legs, back leg turned in more than usual, same ‘windmilling’ arm action, but holding shin – repeated fast and loose.
- Parivrtta Trikonasana
- Utthita Parsvakonasana
- Kneel with left knee bent, right shin on floor & tops of feet on floor, take right elbow over left thigh, lifting ribs and abdomen, chest turning to left, hips level. Both sides.
- Same as above, but toes turned under on back foot, straightening back leg after turning, keeping it straight and maintaining right angle. Hand to floor in Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
- Ardha Chandrasana
- Parivrtta Ardha Chandrasana from Uttanasana
- Dandasana, then turning to right with left hand on thigh & right hand behind hips – both sides
- Maricyasana 1 – twist only (see photo)
- Maricyasana 3 – twist only
- Eka Pada Sarvangasana – each side
- Parsvaika Pada Sarvangasana – each side
- Supta Konasana
- Parsva Halasana – each side
Next week will be hips and hamstrings……
Have a look at my yoga Facebook Page here.